Hazardous Dead Tree Removal
We are happy to announce we have been awarded a NEW grant, thanks to CAL FIRE's California Climate Investments grant program.
This grant program is designed to help subsidize the cost to the property owner. The contribution towards the expense will range between 10% and 100% depending on the gross household income and other factors, subject to certain maximums per property. This is not just for low income families....
What is eligible?
1. A tree that is dead and/or dying (at least 67% dead). Don't worry, our inspectors will verify the mortality for you.
2. The tree must be at least 10 inches in diameter and at least 20 feet in height. If your tree does not meet these size requirements, please contact MRFSC via the Contact Us page; there may be other programs which can help.
3. The tree must have a "target", something it could damage if it fell in ANY direction, i.e. a house, deck, structure, etc., regardless of how it may be leaning.
What is NOT covered?
1. A tree that threatens Edison or Bear Valley Electric's power or service lines or equipment. This may be eligible under the utility's Hazardous Tree Removal program. Property owner must call the utility first: Edison 800-640-3652 or BVES 800-808-2837 and have them inspect the tree for eligibility under their programs.
2. Trees with dead branches only. The Hazardous Dead Tree Grant does not cover trimming or pruning. MRFSC may have other grants to assist with this issue if you have received an abatement notice or letter from your insurance carrier. Please use the Contact Us page to inquire.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
An application is required. Information about the tree and household is required. All information is confidential. MRFSC volunteers and MRFSC qualified tree contractors inspect the tree in question and a decision is made as to final eligibility. MRFSC will contribute 10 - 100% of the cost of removing the hazard, based upon household information, up to certain maximums. The formula for calculation is very broad in scope, so most households on the mountain will qualify for some assistance. This is NOT a low income assistance program.
ALL DECISIONS BY MRFSC ARE FINAL
Please fill out the form to the left to begin the process. Thank you for helping create defensible space in our mountains and making our neighborhoods and communities more FIRE SAFE!
Due to the scope and complexity of the work requested, MRFSC may not be able to commit to certain projects or expenses, and there are maximum subsidies per tree, per property and per property owner (for multiple properties).
If you need help completing the form, please contact us at 866-923-3473, or email via the Contact Us page.
Final determinations and exceptions to any criteria are at the discretion of the MRFSC management and/or board of directors.
Please use the form on this page to request assistance with a hazardous dead tree.